LPG

A forum for discussing topics of particular interest to those running MegaSquirt in Australia and New Zealand, including parts sources, group buys, etc.
wagon
Helpful Squirter

Re: LPG

Post by wagon »

I have heard there are some reliability dramas with some lpg injection systems.. but maybe they have sorted that out. I've had dramas with the 'carby' lpg system on the Fairlane lately, so I have been doing much fiddling.
Metalfab_101
Helpful Squirter

Post by Metalfab_101 »

As far as I can tell its pretty much the same as a traditional LPG setup, it's just the vapour delivery that's different.

It could be the injectors that you've heard are dodgy, i dunno.
Prior preperation and planning prevents piss poor performance
Metalfab_101
Helpful Squirter

Post by Metalfab_101 »

Getting back to LPG, what about the ignition side?

Apparantly you need a pretty good spark for LPG. I was thinking sequential ignition with 4 coil packs would do the job. Either COP type coils or something like EA or LS1.
wagon
Helpful Squirter

Post by wagon »

EDIS coils throw a pretty fat spark. That should be enough for most applications.

PS. Are you coming for a drive next weekend? (Sunday 31st)
1984 Ford Falcon 250ci inline 6 MS'd of course!

Now improved the way Ford should have built it with a 4speed automatic.

Also with 3.45 LSD for added goodness.

If you are hitting your head up against a wall it always feels better when you stop.
long283
Helpful Squirter

Post by long283 »

I think the ignition curve will be the biggest difference for an LPG conversion compared to petrol.
I heard from one LPG tuner that you have to bring the advance in sooner as well as changes for the octane rating.

Have a look at Keihin injectors for LPG. Some of them get re-badged when they come into the country.

There was a company in Melbourne working on a liquid injection system for LPG but it required a different tank, pump, return line and regulator as well as the injectors. They have been promising a commercial product for a few years but nothing has come out yet.

Also be aware that most of the LPG injection systems require full sequential injection.
Metalfab_101
Helpful Squirter

Post by Metalfab_101 »

I ended up getting a carb for LPG delivery.

Will be runnning MS for ignition though. The plan is for a sequential COP setup using Suzuki GSXR coils.
Metalfab_101
Helpful Squirter

Post by Metalfab_101 »

Here's the carb i'm using. It's a variable orifice mixer kinda like an SU carb. The AFR can be changed by screwing the metering rod in and out. Interestingly they make one where that metering rod is moved via a linear stepper motor. Anyone want to have a go at coding the MS for that? :lol:

wagon
Helpful Squirter

Post by wagon »

^^^Looks the goods, mate. What is this going on?
1984 Ford Falcon 250ci inline 6 MS'd of course!

Now improved the way Ford should have built it with a 4speed automatic.

Also with 3.45 LSD for added goodness.

If you are hitting your head up against a wall it always feels better when you stop.
Metalfab_101
Helpful Squirter

Post by Metalfab_101 »

wagon wrote:^^^Looks the goods, mate. What is this going on?
I've been getting bits together for a while now for a "play" engine. Suzuki Swift GTi bottom end and a 16v SOHC head, i'm not using the GTi head as the ports are smaller. I was going to put it on EFI with a set of bike throttles but decided i'd give LPG a go. The plan is to twincharge it, i've got a Eaton M45 blower (positive displacement rootes type) as well as a turbo off a RB25 Nissan engine. I'm going to use the MS for ignition and datalogging. This is to go into the Sierra :lol:

I was a little worried about having it off the road for so long while I muck around with the engine, so I bought a spare chassis and copped it in half behind the transmission crossmember. Now I can assemble the whole engine and gearbox and mount it up and get it all running before I do the swap.