Newbie Fiat L-Jet to MS2, Idles then stops , NEED HELP!!

A forum for discussing topics of particular interest to those running MegaSquirt in Australia and New Zealand, including parts sources, group buys, etc.
divace73
MegaSquirt Newbie

Newbie Fiat L-Jet to MS2, Idles then stops , NEED HELP!!

Post by divace73 »

Hi all Megasquiters

Sort of new to the forum thing, I have currently installed a MS2 with MS2-Extra Firmware 2.1.0. to replace my L-Jetronic on my 1980 Fiat 124 spider.
I have used the OEM injectors (low Z), CLT, IAT, changed the TPS to a pot type, installed a LC-1 wideband O2 sensor.
Stage 1 is to run fuel only (up to here)
Stage 2 Fuel with Fiat locked dizzy
Stage 3 Fuel and EDIS
I have been using tuner studio and managed to 'just' get it started, it idles for a wee bit then coughs and splatters and stops. The RPM reading was all over the place until I selected the noise filter in primary crank field.
the first LED (closest to the RS232 connector) flickers and the middle LED stays on. I havened been too successful in finding out which LED is what, I think it is inj, fuel something else?
I am in Condell Park, Sydney.
Is there anybody our there that has had immediate success in converting the L-Jet to Megasquirt especially on a Fiat?
What do I try next?
Many thanks in advance.
Cheers David -=1980 Fiat Spider=-
long283
Helpful Squirter

Re: Newbie Fiat L-Jet to MS2, Idles then stops , NEED HELP!!

Post by long283 »

Hi divace73,

How are have you set-up the low-z injectors for the Megasquirt?
As in are you using PWM or resistors to limit current flow.

The LEDs are (from closest to the serial port to further away);

1. Fuel Injection
2. Warm-up Enrichment
3. Accelerator Enrichment

ref: Step 80. in http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/V3assemble.htm
devojet
Helpful Squirter

Post by devojet »

Sounds as though you need to increase the fuel table or warm up enrichment. The megasquirt basically goes through three stages when starting. First it the cranking pulse width, then when it starts it goes into after start enrichment then finally settles to run from the fuel table.

So from your description it sounds like to is getting to the end of the afterstart enrichment and stopping as the fuel table is too low or your required fuel value is too low.

I had the same problem with the first start up of a different ecu on a falcon on the weekend. Added more fuel in the fuel table until it started and idled then tuned it back to 14.7afr.

Cheers,

Daniel.
26 Chev hotrod with a 1UZFE and MS3x, Flex fuel, GPIO Transmission control and LCDash.
LS3 powered Race boat with MS3pro and GPIO.
MS2 on a 22r in a Hilux (mates car).
MS2extra on a turbo EF Falcon (brothers car).
Toyota Supra 1jz MS2extra, COP.
13B Turbo MS2extra.
divace73
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by divace73 »

Hi Long283

Many thanx for your response
I have selected the following in Tunerstudio, my unit has the flyback circuit
Injector setting.JPG
Injector setting.JPG (32.56 KiB) Viewed 16221 times
Does that seem corect?
I've switched to my original L-Jet to be sure the engine was working okay as it had been sitting around unstarted for a while. I managed to get is started and idling so will noe get back to it this weekend and try again.

Hi Daniel (Devojet)

I have attached my warm up enrichment, fuel table , I did attempt to change the warm up but nothing much happened. Please let me know what you think?
I am looking forward to getting it back on the car this weekend and giving it another shot.
Attachments
Warmup enrichment.JPG
Warmup enrichment.JPG (51.28 KiB) Viewed 16221 times
VE fuel table.JPG
VE fuel table.JPG (72.63 KiB) Viewed 16221 times
long283
Helpful Squirter

Post by long283 »

It looks as though you have used the default Warm-Up enrichment settings suited to Fahrenheit but changed to degrees Celcius.
You may need to change your temp. points in the left column. For example, start your Coolant points at 0degrees and step up to 100degrees.
What might be happening is your engine may be starting on the ASE (After start enrichment) which reduces after several seconds, then cutting out as the mixture gets too lean.

Also have a look at your PWM Current Limit(%). Make sure that it is enough current to hold the injector open.

I know when I had the Holley TBI on my engine it would get a lot of resets using the PWM for the low-Z injectors. Another work around is to use ballast resistors for each injector & no PWM. Or you could get a dedicated Peak & Hold driver board.
I eventually changed to multi-point injection with high-Z injectors.
divace73
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by divace73 »

Hi Long283

I completely missed that re Fahrenheit vs Celsius, I'll be sure to try that out.
My car had been sitting around for a while unstarted, so I put the original L-Jet back in to get it working again, that’s when I noticed I had the idle-air adjustment all the way in.
The car is working again, I'll attempt top get MS back in this weekend and change the settings as you suggested.
Fingers Crossed.

Many thanks