Toyota Landcruiser FZJ105 4.5 EFi 1FZ-FE

A forum for discussing topics of particular interest to those running MegaSquirt in Australia and New Zealand, including parts sources, group buys, etc.
OzPumba
MegaSquirt Newbie

Toyota Landcruiser FZJ105 4.5 EFi 1FZ-FE

Post by OzPumba »

I had this vehicle converted to dual-fuel (Petrol and LPG) some 60 000Km ago. The normal practice is to send it to Toyota for Petrol service and then to the LPG boys to optimise the engine for LPG. This is because it runs on LPG most of the time and the BTU's for LPG is lower than Petrol. Running on LPG, big throttle openings under 2000rpm (like towing a heavy load or going up hill) sometimes cause back fire. With the result of the airbox exploding. Quite costly to replace. I'm sick and tired of this and wanted to get a tool to dianose the ECU only to find that this vehicle (1996) is not ODBII compliant. This brings me to your site. I want to be able to swap between optimum Petrol and LPG settings on the fly with a PC (I have a PC running win7 installed in the car for SATNAV, Email and Internet on the move). I'm also working on a HHO solution which is almost completed but, without an ECU like MegaSquirt, I will be able to implement it. This means that I will run Petrol with a HHO mix or HHO only. My design dictates an indpendent low pressure HHO injector and control for the HHO gas depending on throttle opening and MAP/MAF sensor inputs as this vehile is fitted with O2 sensors. I might install O2 sensors if required by the MegaSquirt solution. Can anyone help me with info as, not only new to this great site but also, if there are other with the same ideas as me. I'm tired of being held randsom by Toyota or the LPG workshop techs and I'm tired of replacing the very expensive airbox and...I'm very tired to be held randsom by the oil and LPG monopoly kings. :x
wagon
Helpful Squirter

Re: Toyota Landcruiser FZJ105 4.5 EFi 1FZ-FE

Post by wagon »

First of all, welcome.

Second, dump the HHO stuff - IT DOES NOT WORK, it's a con-job.

Anyway, back to the issues.... you can read fault codes with Toyotas by shorting (I think) the TE terminal to gnd and counting the flashing check engine lamp.

However, you may be better off going to a MS system with dual ignition tables ; one for gas, one for petrol. Maybe you can ditch the Toyota system totally and tune for fuel & spark.

Good luck, chasing economy can be a chore. You have a large, heavy vehicle that by it's nature chews heaps of fuel just to get it moving. I've gotten the economy of my Falcon down to around 10l/100km with a combination of gearing and tuning, but there isn't much more in it.
1984 Ford Falcon 250ci inline 6 MS'd of course!

Now improved the way Ford should have built it with a 4speed automatic.

Also with 3.45 LSD for added goodness.

If you are hitting your head up against a wall it always feels better when you stop.
wagon
Helpful Squirter

Re: Toyota Landcruiser FZJ105 4.5 EFi 1FZ-FE

Post by wagon »

Geez..... I killed the place!
1984 Ford Falcon 250ci inline 6 MS'd of course!

Now improved the way Ford should have built it with a 4speed automatic.

Also with 3.45 LSD for added goodness.

If you are hitting your head up against a wall it always feels better when you stop.