I'm a bit rusty

A forum for discussing topics of particular interest to those running MegaSquirt in Australia and New Zealand, including parts sources, group buys, etc.
Metalfab_101
Helpful Squirter

I'm a bit rusty

Post by Metalfab_101 »

Gday guys, i'm stuck setting up my MS on another engine.

I'm pretty sure i'm OK with the req fuel and ignition setup, but having some problems getting an idle.

I'm at the point now where I can start it, but it won't maintain an idle, generally it just dies straight after it starts. I seem to remember last time around (a few years ago now) that I fiddled with afterstart enrichment but that hasn't done much for me in this situation. Is it warmup i should be looking at? Or something else.

ta!!!

Damo.
Prior preperation and planning prevents piss poor performance
long283
Helpful Squirter

Re: I'm a bit rusty

Post by long283 »

You will probably have to adjust both.
But if the engine is dying just after firing-up, adjusting the afterstart enrichment will fix that.

For other readers new to MegaSquirt;
The afterstart enrichment will add extra fuel then taper out for 30secs to a couple of minutes after start. There should be an indicator at the bottom of the window in TunerStudio or the Megatune software.
If the engine runs for ~30secs then dies you will need to add fuel in the warm-up enrichment if the engine isn't up to operating temperature.

Hope this helps.
wagon
Helpful Squirter

Post by wagon »

Maybe richen the whole thing up a few points, get it to operating temperature. Then fiddle with the afterstart, etc. until it runs reliably. Repeat same for a cold motor.

It's been a while for me too. :)
1984 Ford Falcon 250ci inline 6 MS'd of course!

Now improved the way Ford should have built it with a 4speed automatic.

Also with 3.45 LSD for added goodness.

If you are hitting your head up against a wall it always feels better when you stop.
Metalfab_101
Helpful Squirter

Post by Metalfab_101 »

long283 wrote:You will probably have to adjust both.
But if the engine is dying just after firing-up, adjusting the afterstart enrichment will fix that.

For other readers new to MegaSquirt;
The afterstart enrichment will add extra fuel then taper out for 30secs to a couple of minutes after start. There should be an indicator at the bottom of the window in TunerStudio or the Megatune software.
If the engine runs for ~30secs then dies you will need to add fuel in the warm-up enrichment if the engine isn't up to operating temperature.

Hope this helps.
The afterstart can be set to cycles or seconds. I assume cycles are CPU cycles? But how long is one of those?
Stag76
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Stag76 »

I've always thought that cycles meant engine cycles. (ie 2-cycle or 4-cycle).
Metalfab_101
Helpful Squirter

Post by Metalfab_101 »

Stag76 wrote:I've always thought that cycles meant engine cycles. (ie 2-cycle or 4-cycle).
That sounds more reasonable!
Metalfab_101
Helpful Squirter

Post by Metalfab_101 »

ASE was my problem. I did play with some values but I was still not giving it enough. It seems to be starting pretty well now without too much tweaking which is lucky. Fine tuning cranking PW, ASE and warmups will take a bit longer as I remember.

It looks like the wideband is behaving now too, so hopefully I can take it out for a run today. I'm going to try the autotune function in TunerStudio and see how it goes.