If anyone could feed me some information on how they have set theirs up that would be great
- Helpful Squirter
- Posts: 92
- Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:10 am
- Location: Toowoomba, QLD, Australia
Now improved the way Ford should have built it with a 4speed automatic.
Also with 3.45 LSD for added goodness.
If you are hitting your head up against a wall it always feels better when you stop.
Most of the parts you will need should already come with the engine, most of the work will be in the wiring and configuring the MS2. Didi you get part of the original harness so you can use the connectors?
* The Ecotec v6 uses a hot-wire MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor or you can remove this and use the MAP(Manifold Air Press.) sensor built into the MS2.
* The v6 uses a hall-type CAS which outputs two signals so you will have to modify the MS2 for a second signal. Luckily the hall-sensors have a nice square wave output which is easy to adapt to. I used a simple transistor buffered input.
* The MAT and coolant temp sensors will work, just wire them straight up.
* You can wire the injectors to be fired in seperate banks. If you want to run semi-sequential injection there is a bit more work and you need to modify the MS2.
* The igniton system uses 2 or 3 wires to comunicate with the igniton module the has the 3 coil packs sitting on top. http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/GM_DIS.htm
* There are also knock sensors on the engine but you might be better off tuning the engine properly so it won't ping in the first place.
Also have a look through the GM Success Strories http://www.msruns.com/viewforum.php?f=8 ... 48d46023e3 for other people who have converted v6s. viewtopic.php?f=74&t=22969
The trickiest bits will be the CAS wiring and working with the coilpack/ignition module but these have all been done before.
Some good news for you, from what I've read the ignition system should be capable of reading the crank sensors for you and controlling basic ignition for start-up then the ECU takes over to controll the ign-advance;
http://easyautodiagnostics.com/gm_ignit ... dule_1.php
And here's a bit in the manual on GM DIS
Other bad news is that the GM MAF sensor has a frequency based output and won't work with MS2 but the good news is you already have a MAP sensor built into the MS2.
http://www.oldholdens.com/temp/carstuff ... iagram.pdf
Thanks to OldHolden.com
The Ignition and crank/cam sensors are on the lower left side.
You can have two inputs to MS2:
- Cam signal out.
- Crank reference out.
The two putputs from MS2 to the ignitoin module:
- Bypass control(for when the engine is cranking, the ignition module controls the spark)
- EST signal in ( this controls the spark & advance when the engine is running.)
As well as connecting ground, power and the CAS.
I have just about finished all the mechanical side of things and now have spent 2 weeks trying to decide weather to hack the standard Delco, or go with the Megasquirt. Due to me wanting to turbo it later on, the simplicity of the wiring (not having to touch the hilux loom for all the lights, and having a seperate engine loom) and the cool factor I've chosen the ms2 I have (V3 board).
I've been reading and re-reading everything about the ignition system (The new GM DFI module isn't really explained in the megamanual) and am at the point were I think I get it.
The main thing confusing me is; [insert long list ]
That I don't understand, or have missed which pin to connect the cam sensor output as well as the crank reference from the DFI to the ms2. I have read http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/MS2-Extra_Dual.htm and still don't understand very well. I have to connect these to don't I or else the DFI wont know how to fire the coils from the est signal.
Sorry for my novice,
If everything fails I could probably retrofit a Ford EDIS from a EB Falcon couldn't I? mechanically it would be harder but much simpler electrically (I'm better at using hammers then multimeters )
Follow the mods and setting from here: http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/MS2-Extra_HEI.htm, except choose Rising Edge instead of Falling Edge for Ignition Input Capture.
The MS1extra manual shows how to connect the C3I to the Megasquirt http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms1extra/MS_ ... al.htm#c31