E85

A forum for discussing topics of particular interest to those running MegaSquirt in Australia and New Zealand, including parts sources, group buys, etc.
long283
Helpful Squirter

E85

Post by long283 »

I was filling up at the local Caltex during the week and noticed they now have E85 at one of the bowsers.
$1.21/L while the 95 I filled with was $1.51/L.

Yes I know all the cons about using a possible food source for fuel, harder cold starts, increased fuel consumption....
but it would be nice to run in a weekend vehicle or racer that was built for the higher octane. The other way would be to run 91 octane and inject the E85 when the engine was under load.
And I have a couple of block heaters for a SBC that would take care of the cold starts. :D
wagon
Helpful Squirter

Re: E85

Post by wagon »

I'd like to try it too. I don't think my injectors are big enough, however. Has anyone tried a setup with a flexfuel sensor yet?
1984 Ford Falcon 250ci inline 6 MS'd of course!

Now improved the way Ford should have built it with a 4speed automatic.

Also with 3.45 LSD for added goodness.

If you are hitting your head up against a wall it always feels better when you stop.
Metalfab_101
Helpful Squirter

Post by Metalfab_101 »

wagon wrote:Has anyone tried a setup with a flexfuel sensor yet?
Nup, keen to see how they go though!
Prior preperation and planning prevents piss poor performance
kholman
Site Admin

Post by kholman »

There is some discussion of using E85 over at MSEFI.com forums.
Forum Admin Team
long283
Helpful Squirter

Post by long283 »

I was wondering if it would be possible to use a potentiostat or something similar to determine the percentage of ethanol in the fuel as a flex-sensor?

Something like this http://hackaday.com/2011/09/14/cheapsta ... entiostat/ .

I'm sure the electrically noise environment of a car would interfer with the readings but I don't believe high accurracy would be required. Maybe have the flex-sensor do a rough scaling of the fuel map and have a wide band oxygen sensor narrow it in.
devojet
Helpful Squirter

Post by devojet »

I run the Caltex e85 in my SB 350 chev race engine in my boat, but it is carbie fed. It goes better, runs smoother, only down side is the hard starting below about 17degs. I just tip a bit of unleaded down the carb to start it. Only change I made to the engine and fuel system was changed the carbie to one that was tuned for e85. The engine only has 10:1 compression but e85 can handle 13:1 NA.

In theory you should get an instant 5% increase in power due to the energy content and the amount you burn, plus any aditional benifits of the cooling effect the fuel has. In my boat air temp after the carbie drops to around 7deg on a 20deg day.

I also have a series 2 SS commodore which is factory flex fuel. It has noticably more low down torque when running e85.

You can get GM sensors for about US$350 new or you could just use map switching. If it is tuned for 85% and you have a lower % mix it will just run a bit rich.

Caltex fuel is only 70% in sydney and melbourne and 73% in QLD because of the warmer climate last time I checked. I'm not sure if they plan to increase it or not this summer. They didn't last summer. Might have to email them and find out again.

Cheers
Daniel.
26 Chev hotrod with a 1UZFE and MS3x, Flex fuel, GPIO Transmission control and LCDash.
LS3 powered Race boat with MS3pro and GPIO.
MS2 on a 22r in a Hilux (mates car).
MS2extra on a turbo EF Falcon (brothers car).
Toyota Supra 1jz MS2extra, COP.
13B Turbo MS2extra.
azeo
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by azeo »

David Blumes' Book, "Alcohol can be a Gas" has some good stuff on conversions in the appendix. Greg Banishs' Book, "Designing and Tuning High-Performance Fuel Injection Systems" is also a pretty good book, and includes info on alcohol tuning, *plus* a Megasquirt installation case study at the end, highly reccommended! Some people apparently use dual tables, and an external switch, but this doesn't allow for mixing E85 with gas at various ratios in the tank like a flex-fuel sensor can, and is used for well-defined occaisons such as transitioning from street to race and back. David Blume's book also covers a variety of techniques for cold starting. It would be a fun thing to do with an MS!
Cheers,
azeo
devojet
Helpful Squirter

Post by devojet »

Just an update, i tested some caltex e85 a couple of weeks ago and it was 80%. So looks like they are switching to a summer blend this year. Will be interesting to see how high it gets.

Cheers
Daniel
26 Chev hotrod with a 1UZFE and MS3x, Flex fuel, GPIO Transmission control and LCDash.
13B Turbo MS2extra.
wagon
Helpful Squirter

Post by wagon »

Has anyone had anymore results with E85? What factory Australian-delivered cars run it? I might try it soon; I might have to infest my Ford with more GM parts.
1984 Ford Falcon 250ci inline 6 MS'd of course!

Now improved the way Ford should have built it with a 4speed automatic.

Also with 3.45 LSD for added goodness.

If you are hitting your head up against a wall it always feels better when you stop.
devojet
Helpful Squirter

Post by devojet »

I won the Australian jetsprint championships last year running it.

Series 2 VE commodores are the only flex fuel cars I know of.

Cheers
Daniel.
13B Turbo MS2extra.