GSXR Turbo Microsquirt

A forum for discussing topics of particular interest to those running MegaSquirt in Australia and New Zealand, including parts sources, group buys, etc.
slingy1052
MegaSquirt Newbie

GSXR Turbo Microsquirt

Post by slingy1052 »

Hi Guys,

Well, i figured that this place needed another post and as its severly lacking in 2 wheeled machines, i thought i would share my project with you all.
Its been microsquirted now for about 3 yrs and the efi system has worked well and been reliable the whole time. It is a real budget setup, using alot of second hand stuff including electrical connectors cut from car looms etc.BUT, i did follow all the suggestions in the manual, so i separated the high current and sensor wiring down different sides of the bike, used shielded wiring for the coil and injector ccts and soldered and double heatshrunk everything. i also used a Ford EDIS coil complete with its factrory 22uF Cap for the wasted spark. So far its been great to tune and given good starting etc right from word go. So the specs are as follows:
Chassis:
1988 GSXR750
Triumph Daytona Single sided swingarm conversion
Aftermarket headlight unit
Fat bars and MX risers
SIGMA pushbike speedo (good for 199KMH)

Engine:
1986 GSXR1100 1052cc (pretty clapped out)
ARP head Bolts
Lazer cut 1mm de-com plate
Relocated oil filter, now at back of sump
EBC heavy Duty Clutch
17mm offset sprocket with outrigger plate to accomidate the Triumph rear wheel

EFI:
V2 Microsquirt running MSEXTRA V3.3.1 firmware and Tunerstudio V2.5.05
GPZ1100 TB's and TPS (same spacing as GSXR so went straight on )
Mazda RX7 550cc Red high impedance injectors ( Again a straight fit into GPZ TB's)
Home made alloy fuel rail
GPZ750 Turbo Plenum chamber moded to suit
Triggerwheels.com 51mm 36-1 trigger wheel machined to fit on the centre of the old crank trigger
Stock VR sensor wired straight into VR input
Gm 3 Bar MAP sensor
GM coolant sensor
GPZ IAT sensor
Pierburg fuel pump
SARD adjustable FPR set to 35psi base pressure
HTC X9500 Shift 7" Windows Tablet running Tunerstudio as Gauges and on board tuning and Datalogging via an efi anylitics usb adapter

Turbo System:
TD04-13t Volvo turbo with intergral wastegate and dump valve
Home made stainless header and dump pipe, lazer cut flanges, with a homemade alloy sump muffler.
Intercooler
VDO oil scavange pump with alloy sump under turbo for it to draw from

She's no show pony, i just like tinkering and as things turn up for cheap, they get incorporated lol

i have lots of pictures of the build so if anyone wants more info then please feel free to ask brisbanejack@hotmail.com

long283
Helpful Squirter

Re: GSXR Turbo Microsquirt

Post by long283 »

Great work and great to see a bike up.

Is there much load on the bikes electrical system and have you had to uprade the regulator/stator?
slingy1052
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by slingy1052 »

long283 wrote:Great work and great to see a bike up.

Is there much load on the bikes electrical system and have you had to uprade the regulator/stator?
Thanks,

These GSXR's have a really good car style alternator, i think like 50Amps, so its no trouble at all, even with running the 2 extra pumps and injectors.
long283
Helpful Squirter

Post by long283 »

That certainly helps with an EFI conversion.

I recently picked up a small E85 compatible fuel pump, hope to use it on my next project. I will be needing a fuel rail pressure sensor and pump controller to keep the current draw down on that build though.
slingy1052
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by slingy1052 »

long283 wrote:That certainly helps with an EFI conversion.

I recently picked up a small E85 compatible fuel pump, hope to use it on my next project. I will be needing a fuel rail pressure sensor and pump controller to keep the current draw down on that build though.
What you doing with that build then?
long283
Helpful Squirter

Post by long283 »

Only in the planning and collecting parts stage at the moment.
I am hoping to inject a 250cc two-stroke single.

The bike is a Mk2 CRM-250 and uses an ECU to control ignition & the RC valve (exhaust power-valve). Injecting a two-stroke in the transfer ports or by direct injection is the best method to reduce emissions and consumption but I would like to make it similar to the CRM-250 AR (Active Radical) model.
The AR model reduced hydrocarbon emissions by 50% and fuel consumption by 30% whilst still using an carby. It had a solenoid in the carby and controlled the RC valve and ignition. It would actually cut the ignition at <50% throttle and <50%rpm to run the engine under Active Radical or HCCI conditions (http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECHNOL ... /hcci.html :RTFM: ).
I think that a throttle body injection would be a lot simpler to implement and have already confirmed that this bike will run under those conditions - I started the bike with some fuel down the spark-plug, when it started to race I cut the ignition and pulled the spark-plug lead and it still ran (this was a cold engine, the head has not bean shaved).
Sorry about all the tech babble.

Anyway, I will need to minimise the electrical load on the generator so I am fitting LED indicators and tail lights. I might also fit a small LiFePO battery to help smooth the load conditions. First thing is to get it registered.
slingy1052
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by slingy1052 »

Thats some very interesting stuff in that link.
i like the variable Compression Ratio engine as well.
Should be a real interesting project that one. I should imagine theres going to some challenges along the way but thats where the fun is.
I didnt turbo mine because i need the power, its the challenge from doing it :) (and the mental power and speed lol)

Thanks for sharing

Cheers Jack
long283
Helpful Squirter

Post by long283 »

The challenge and the learning.

It was the same for my ute. I could have bought a newer car or put a newer engine in the old car but learnt so much by DIY. It also got me into microcontrollers and more electronics.
And the feeling of accomplishment at the end is worth it.

Did you use fuel rail stock for your injector rail or completely fabricate a new one?
Have you had any problems with the VR sensor?
slingy1052
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by slingy1052 »

long283 wrote:Did you use fuel rail stock for your injector rail or completely fabricate a new one?
Have you had any problems with the VR sensor?
I fabricated a new one as the GPZ TB's used hose barb style injectors with a steel rail and short rubber hoses to join it all together.
These style of injectors are quite rare so i ended up hunting for injectors which were high imp 350 ish CC, bosch style(so they would fit straight in) and
have a 12mm top as apposed to the normal 14mm so as to make it easier to drill accurate holes. The best i could find for cheap were these RX7 ones
which are perfect other than being 550CC min. But always managed to get a good idle etc so no big worry, but i do run a base pressure of 33psi to help ease the situation a bit.
The fuel rail extrusion, i tried to find it every where locally (ie OZ) but ended up having to buy a 1/2 metre of it from the states.

The 36-1 wheel and stock VR have worked really well, never had an ignition issue other than plugs fowling in early tune stages through over rich mixtures. But the tach count is alwasy perfect.
long283
Helpful Squirter

Post by long283 »

I had a hard time getting fuel rail extrusion but eventually found some through VPW http://vpw.com.au/Category/Index/51614
The other way is through Jegs or Summit in the US. I've got a few lengths left over.
I should only need a single injector on the bike , which won't be hard to make, and I've come up with some drawings on how to make custom rails from stainless steel tube and bar.

I'll start checking the stock VR sensor once I get the bike on the road and start using it a bit more.

Hope to hear more updates about your turbo gixxer soon.