Commodore 3.8L v6 plug-and-play

A forum for discussing topics of particular interest to those running MegaSquirt in Australia and New Zealand, including parts sources, group buys, etc.
long283
Helpful Squirter

Commodore 3.8L v6 plug-and-play

Post by long283 »

I now have a standard ECU and will be trying to modify it with a MS2 to be a plug and play module in a VP Commodore.

It is a 1993 VP commodore ute with the cast iron 3.8L v6 and 5-speed manual.
Stag76
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: Commodore 3.8L v6 plug-and-play

Post by Stag76 »

Hi,

How did you go with this project.

I'm considering fitting a 3.8 V6 to my Triumph TR7.
I was looking at a VT ECOTEC Engine, but I have been told that these engines have way too
much baggage in the form of Body Computers, Anti-Theft Systems etc, and that it would be better
to use either a VN or VP due to their not having a Body Computer etc.

Do you plan to use the standard wiring loom, ignition system etc?

Cheers,
Bruce.
long283
Helpful Squirter

Post by long283 »

I'm still working on this project at the moment. I've stripped down a standard Commodore (Delco) ECU and getting the plug out. I'm going to make an adaptor from the MS2 unit to the standard Commodore plug so I can experiment but swap back to the original ECU if I have any trouble.
I'm going to run a vacuum line through the firewall to the MS2 and block it off whenever the Commodore unit is back in.

I was hoping to get an ignition map that someone else had made but haven't found any yet. I think I can develop one if I get some of the factory base settings.

I've got a Techedge wide band o2 sensor for tuning and that works well with datalogging & Tuner Studio to refine the fuel maps. I was also thinking of having a switch to change between maps for E10 & straight unleaded.

The Ecotec is a good motor and smoother due to the split plane crank. It uses a hotwire airflow (MAF) sensor with the standard ECU but will work with the MS ECU if you run a vacuum line or if you are an adventurist you can try to get it to work with the MAF.

I'll post up a few pics when I make progress with mine.
devojet
Helpful Squirter

Post by devojet »

Have you guys had a look at the following forum.http://pcmhacking.net/forums/

There is heaps of info about delco computers. You should be able to find some base maps to copy timing tables from.
26 Chev hotrod with a 1UZFE and MS3x, Flex fuel, GPIO Transmission control and LCDash.
LS3 powered Race boat with MS3pro and GPIO.
MS2 on a 22r in a Hilux (mates car).
MS2extra on a turbo EF Falcon (brothers car).
Toyota Supra 1jz MS2extra, COP.
13B Turbo MS2extra.
long283
Helpful Squirter

Post by long283 »

The attached spreadsheet(jpg) is what I have done so far.

I may have to add a transistor to drive the A/C relay.
Being manual I don't have to worry about the Auto transmission in/outs.
I think there is a way to use the MAP sensor to a spare input but I may just run a vacuum hose to the ECU.
I am not sure what the "Trip Computer" (A2 - Delco plug) is for, either in/out.
I think the speedometer input (A10) is used for control of the Auto transmission, locking the torque converter above 80kph.
I need to check the DFI conections and settings.
The IAC connections were taken from the MegaManual http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/IAC.htm

Is here a way to take an input from the A/C control switch to increase the idle? Is this necessary?

The Check Eng. Light (A5 - Delco) could be used as an indicator (and could confuse anyone else driving the car).
Attachments
Delco to MS2 Plug and Play_11_11_2015.jpg
(210.56 KiB) Not downloaded yet