What reluctor/inductive pick-ups are you using?

A forum for discussing topics of particular interest to those running MegaSquirt in Australia and New Zealand, including parts sources, group buys, etc.
long283
Helpful Squirter

What reluctor/inductive pick-ups are you using?

Post by long283 »

Just wondering what reluctor/inductive pick-ups everyone is using and where to get them?

I'm looking at building a crank angle sensor and have been looking at inductive, hall-effect and optical sensors from different suppliers. I want to go to a DIS ignition because the 'hot' spark from my ignition coil is wearing the carbon button out in my distributor (I have gone through two caps in only a few thousand kms), I'd also like the greater accuracy and I want to try out the MS Extra sequential code.
devojet
Helpful Squirter

Re: What reluctor/inductive pick-ups are you using?

Post by devojet »

I have only used factory VR sensors so far. Toyota 1jz, EF Falcon, RX7. That probably doesn't help you much though. You could probably use one off an e series Falcon if you plan to use a crack wheel.

Cheers

Daniel.
26 Chev hotrod with a 1UZFE and MS3x, Flex fuel, GPIO Transmission control and LCDash.
LS3 powered Race boat with MS3pro and GPIO.
MS2 on a 22r in a Hilux (mates car).
MS2extra on a turbo EF Falcon (brothers car).
Toyota Supra 1jz MS2extra, COP.
13B Turbo MS2extra.
long283
Helpful Squirter

Post by long283 »

At the moment I have a couple of the hall-effect sensors from Jaycar and have drawings (.dwg, .dxf) to get 36-1 toothed wheels cut from 1.2mm mild-steel. I like using the hall-effect sensor over the inductive pick-ups because of the clean "square wave" output but I am considering the options before going ahead with my order.

I will try a few wreckers to see if they can help with the Falcon VR sensors. I have also been looking at RS Components and Farnell catalogues to see what they offer in VR & hall-effect sensors.
I have an optical sensor from a Crane Fireball ignition kit but I think that would be prone to dirt/dust blocking the sensor.

I have ordered 4 DIS coils http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-GM-DIS- ... 0/10002/-1 which should arrive tomorrow. I have MOSFETs to drive the coils but will have to find 4 IGTs for ignition. Which I will mount close to the coils on the firewall.

I hope to make my decision in the next few days to get my order in before christmas. Anyone else interested in converting to a crank-angle sensor?
wagon
Helpful Squirter

Post by wagon »

There is any number on pickups available. The EF/AU inductive pickup is cheap & easy to get and has a nice, big signal output. You could also look into a 'proxy' ie. a proximity switch. Some of those will work at frequencies high enough for engine use-they are typically inductive pickup with a square wave output.
1984 Ford Falcon 250ci inline 6 MS'd of course!

Now improved the way Ford should have built it with a 4speed automatic.

Also with 3.45 LSD for added goodness.

If you are hitting your head up against a wall it always feels better when you stop.
long283
Helpful Squirter

Post by long283 »

So far I haven't had any luck on the V/R pick-ups at the local wreckers but will keep trying. I have a couple of the hall-effect sensors so might have to go that way.
I am almost tempted to go with an optical sensor with a larger gap but would have to be careful about dirt/grease blocking the sensor.
I'm going to wait till after christmas before placing an order.

The ignition coils have turned up and look good. Now I just have to get the transistors to fire them and build an ignitor board. And my new engine is almost finished :D better breathing to take advantage of the single-plane manifold & EFI, can't wait to see how it goes.
Stag76
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Stag76 »

Ford VR Pickups are available new from Inject_A-Carb for $50 ...check this link.

http://www.injectacarb.com.au/ford-falc ... -p-57.html

They are very reliable.
wagon
Helpful Squirter

Post by wagon »

Stag76 wrote:Ford VR Pickups are available new from Inject_A-Carb for $50 ...check this link.

http://www.injectacarb.com.au/ford-falc ... -p-57.html

They are very reliable.
You can pick them up from Ford for about the same money or less. I've used them in agricultural applications too (speed pickup on an air-seeder).
1984 Ford Falcon 250ci inline 6 MS'd of course!

Now improved the way Ford should have built it with a 4speed automatic.

Also with 3.45 LSD for added goodness.

If you are hitting your head up against a wall it always feels better when you stop.
djbrooksy05
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by djbrooksy05 »

just about all ABS wheel sensors are VR sensors

i know that the comodore ones are only thing is i dont know if they will work
with a MS as i dont have a MS yet just doing my homework at the moment :RTFM: :RTFM: and a bit more :RTFM:

if you have a self serve wrecker near you there not that hard to get out only one 5mm allen key bolt holding the rear ones in
and they fit in the pocket real nice like :lol:
long283
Helpful Squirter

Post by long283 »

Most Hall-effect sensors are compatible with MS because they produce a square wave output.

I thought of using the VN to VS Commodore hall-sensor off the V6 because they have a larger gap but am leaning towards the EF-AU Falcon crank-angle sensor because of the ability of VR-sensors to operate at higher temperatures. If I do go with the EF-AU sensor I think I will get my own 36-1 wheels made up. The ones from DIY Autotune are either too big or too small.

Does anyone have the dimensions on the EF-AU Falcon 36-1wheel?

And can Inject-A-Carb supply the connectors for these?
Stag76
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by Stag76 »

Contact WAGON...he has had them laser cut.

The connectors will have to come from a wrecker, but there is no shortage.