Nissan CAS

A forum for discussing topics of particular interest to those running MegaSquirt in Australia and New Zealand, including parts sources, group buys, etc.
Metalfab_101
Helpful Squirter

Nissan CAS

Post by Metalfab_101 »

I know Devojet has been messing with these things lately, so i'm hoping he has a little input for me.

The CAS I am using is off a CA18. It has dual optical pickups in the one sensor with 360 x 1 degree slots around the outside and 4 x inner slots of different lengths. Some people are doing some pretty cool stuff with the MS2/extra code these days and as far as I can tell that sensor can be used with MS2/extra without any mods.

BUT I have a v2.2 MS1 running extra code, so that's not really going to work for me. After doing a bit of googling I found that AEM and Autronic actually retro fit a different trigger wheel to the Nissan CAS, which looks like this one...
which has 24 slots on the outer and a single trigger on the inside. Doing a little skimming throught the MS1/extra manuals I seem to think it's going to work. I'm going to TRY to sit down today and have a good read of the manual and get my head around it though.

OH, and there is one more thing to consider. This CAS is driven on the front of the cam shaft on the Nissan engine, on MY engine it will be driven off the opposite end of the camshaft (back of the head) and so will spin the trigger wheel backwards compared to how it would normally. Now I think with the existing trigger wheel this would cause a problem, but with the 24+1 wheel it's not going to make a difference.
Prior preperation and planning prevents piss poor performance
devojet
Helpful Squirter

Re: Nissan CAS

Post by devojet »

I haven't been playing with them I have just done some research and have been following the thread on msextra forums. My brother has a Nissan V8 in his shed which will need a megasquirt one day. I was going to pull the CAS out and test it but there was too much junk in the way in my brothers shed.

Changing to a 24+1 wheel should work fine. just look up the manual about second triggers.

I also have a spare MS2 daughter board if you want to upgrade and use the new code with the standard wheel.
26 Chev hotrod with a 1UZFE and MS3x, Flex fuel, GPIO Transmission control and LCDash.
LS3 powered Race boat with MS3pro and GPIO.
MS2 on a 22r in a Hilux (mates car).
MS2extra on a turbo EF Falcon (brothers car).
Toyota Supra 1jz MS2extra, COP.
13B Turbo MS2extra.
Metalfab_101
Helpful Squirter

Re: Nissan CAS

Post by Metalfab_101 »

devojet wrote:I haven't been playing with them I have just done some research and have been following the thread on msextra forums. My brother has a Nissan V8 in his shed which will need a megasquirt one day. I was going to pull the CAS out and test it but there was too much junk in the way in my brothers shed.

Changing to a 24+1 wheel should work fine. just look up the manual about second triggers.

I also have a spare MS2 daughter board if you want to upgrade and use the new code with the standard wheel.
Thanks for the offer, I have been seriously considering going to MS2 but decided that i'll try to change a minimum of things at the moment. I have the Nissan CAS apart now so i'll see how I go getting one of the 24/1 wheels, I can't see it being too big a drama.

My existing dizzy has a 2 too drive socket that plugs into the end of the camshaft. I was happy to discover that this fits perfectly onto the Nissan CAS shaft once I had removed the drive socket that it uses. I'm pretty sure i'll have to do a little fiddling with spacing it out a bit but it will be about as close to a factory installation as I can get. It will certainly solve my firewall clearance problem.
Prior preperation and planning prevents piss poor performance