v2.2 ignition options

A forum for discussing topics of particular interest to those running MegaSquirt in Australia and New Zealand, including parts sources, group buys, etc.
Metalfab_101
Helpful Squirter

v2.2 ignition options

Post by Metalfab_101 »

Is anyone running ignition control? I have a v2.2 board and I'm trying to figure out how to hook it up to the vehicle's standard ignition hardware. That includes using the stock ignitor instead of using a VB921.

Ignition table tuning looks like fun too.. :shock:
Prior preperation and planning prevents piss poor performance
long283
Helpful Squirter

Re: v2.2 ignition options

Post by long283 »

I'm using the MS2 v3 to fire an LS1 coil with built in ignitor.

Use a pull-up resistor with your VB921 to create a square wave output. Or just use a small transistor and pull-up resistor in the prototype area.

I also have another MS2 v3 with the extra code that is running multiple coils but I still have to build the output circuit. I'm also trying to get the 4 x fuel channels working to do semi-sequential fuel control. And mapping the igniting can be hard work but makes a huge difference.
Metalfab_101
Helpful Squirter

Post by Metalfab_101 »

long283 wrote:I'm using the MS2 v3 to fire an LS1 coil with built in ignitor.

Use a pull-up resistor with your VB921 to create a square wave output. Or just use a small transistor and pull-up resistor in the prototype area.

I also have another MS2 v3 with the extra code that is running multiple coils but I still have to build the output circuit. I'm also trying to get the 4 x fuel channels working to do semi-sequential fuel control. And mapping the igniting can be hard work but makes a huge difference.
What have you got your spark invert set to?

Directly driving the stock ignitor with the MS I think I am supposed to set it to spark inverted.

I've been looking at it this afternoon but my adapter loom has a wiring SNAFU in it somewhere. Will have to get that sorted first!! :cry:
devojet
Helpful Squirter

Post by devojet »

What make and model is the ignitor/ignition system from?
26 Chev hotrod with a 1UZFE and MS3x, Flex fuel, GPIO Transmission control and LCDash.
LS3 powered Race boat with MS3pro and GPIO.
MS2 on a 22r in a Hilux (mates car).
MS2extra on a turbo EF Falcon (brothers car).
Toyota Supra 1jz MS2extra, COP.
13B Turbo MS2extra.
Metalfab_101
Helpful Squirter

Post by Metalfab_101 »

devojet wrote:What make and model is the ignitor/ignition system from?
The motor is from a Suzuki x-90, the ignition parts are Mitsubishi though. After doing a bit of digging I think I have it sorted, the stock ignitor should be fine to use instead of the VB921. At the moment i'm trying to sort a power problem in my wiring loom so I can get back to testing my cam sensor pickup.
long283
Helpful Squirter

Post by long283 »

The LS1 coils have a built in ignitor that uses an inverted signal. The signal is held high at +5V, then pulled to ground to begin coil charging, then it fires when the signal goes high (+5V).

I have an ignitor from a Nissan RB26 that is basically six power transistors. That uses a non-inverted signal going to +9 to 12V to begin coil charge and then pulling the signal to ground to fire the coil. I should have just bought 4x VB921s or the new IGBTs instead of getting that but it does have some nice connectors at least.

Good luck with the Suzuki.
Metalfab_101
Helpful Squirter

Post by Metalfab_101 »

long283 wrote:The LS1 coils have a built in ignitor that uses an inverted signal. The signal is held high at +5V, then pulled to ground to begin coil charging, then it fires when the signal goes high (+5V).

I have an ignitor from a Nissan RB26 that is basically six power transistors. That uses a non-inverted signal going to +9 to 12V to begin coil charge and then pulling the signal to ground to fire the coil. I should have just bought 4x VB921s or the new IGBTs instead of getting that but it does have some nice connectors at least.

Good luck with the Suzuki.
I am pretty sure that with the software set to "inverted" the CPU pin is 0v, it the goes to 5v to charge the coil, then back to ground to fire the coil. I'm going to dig in the manual later to clarify.

I know what you mean about using factory stuff, I prefer to use it when possible.
wagon
Helpful Squirter

Post by wagon »

long283 wrote:
Years ago I used to rebuild those 4 or 6 cylinder Nissan ignitors using SMD VB921 chips. There was nothing else in them except for a pcb ; they worked well. Be aware too than Mr Nissan has a bad habit of changing pinouts too - it's usually written on the lid - so don't assume just because they look the same or use the same connector they are the same unit.
1984 Ford Falcon 250ci inline 6 MS'd of course!

Now improved the way Ford should have built it with a 4speed automatic.

Also with 3.45 LSD for added goodness.

If you are hitting your head up against a wall it always feels better when you stop.